Turner In The U.S.
Brian joins the Roux scholars on
a culinary tour of California
Click here to find out more
my latest ramblings
110g/4oz cooked new potatoes
110g/4oz cooked carrots
110g/4oz cooked cabbage
2 cooked roast chicken legs, meat shredded
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g/2oz plain flour
1 egg, beaten
110g/4oz fresh white breadcrumbs
550g/1¼ lb sausage meat
1tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
Beef dripping, to fry
How to Create the Dish
1. Crush the potatoes and carrots together in a bowl then add the cabbage and pieces of chicken meat. Mix well then season with salt and black pepper.
2. Shape into 4 equal sized balls then pass through the flour, egg and breadcrumbs until each ball is fully coated. Shape into flattish cakes about 15cm/ 6” in diameter.
3. Heat a frying pan until hot, add some dripping and when it’s melted, add the bubble and squeak and cook until light golden brown then flip over and slowly cook through until hot.
4. Meanwhile, mix the sausage meat with the chopped tomato and touch of mustard in a bowl, then shape into 7.5cm/3” cakes.
5. Heat a separate frying pan until hot, add some dripping and when it’s melted, add the sausage cakes and fry until golden brown, then flip over and cook until hot through.
6. Place the bubble and squeak on a plate then top with the sausage cake and serve.