Turner On TV
Brian recently made an
appearance on James Martin's Saturday Morning
Click here to watch it again
ROUGH PUFF PASTRY
125g/4 ½ oz flour, plus extra for dusting
125g/4 ½ oz chilled chopped butter
50ml/2floz iced water
8 pieces of cooked chicken (preferably poached)
225g/8oz boiled ham
225g/8oz cooked tongue
2 medium leeks, sliced
570ml/1pt chicken stock
2tbsp chopped parsley
Salt & pepper
1 egg, beaten
275ml/½ pt chicken stock
8 small carrots, peeled and quartered
How to Create the Dish
METHOD FOR PASTRY
1. Rub the flour, salt and butter together in a bowl until breadcrumbs form then stir in the water to form a soft dough. Knead lightly until it comes together then cover and set in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
2. Remove and roll on a lightly floured work surface to a large rectangle about 1cm thick. Fold the left hand side over to the centre, then fold the right hand side in to meet it. Fold the left hand side over as if closing a book.
3. Turn the whole piece of pastry 90° then roll out again to a large rectangle about 1cm thick. Repeat the folding and rolling 3 more times so you have 4 turns in total. Cover and return to the fridge for another 30 minutes until firm.
METHOD FOR PIE
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. Cut the ham, chicken and tongue into even sized pieces and set aside.
3. Pour 150ml/¼ pt of the chicken stock into a saucepan, add the sliced leeks, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the remaining chicken stock to the pan with the meats and parsley, season well then spoon into a medium sized pie dish.
5. Roll the pastry out until 5mm/¼“ thick and 2.5cm/1” bigger than your pie dish. Cut a strip that will go all around the edge of the pie dish.
6. Egg wash the edge of the pie dish then lay the strip on top and press down well. Carefully lay the main piece of pastry over the top and press down lightly at the edges. Cut off any excess around the edges then crimp well. Brush with the beaten egg and make a hole in the middle of the pie with a knife, to allow the steam to escape.
7. Bake for 15 minutes then turn to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and bake for a further 20 minutes until piping hot and golden.
8. Put the butter for the carrots into a saucepan with half the chicken stock, add the sugar and salt and bring to the boil.
9. Add the carrots, return to a simmer and cook gently for 15-20 minutes until tender - use the extra stock if necessary.
10. When carrots are cooked, turn the heat up and boil until the stock has reduced enough to just coat the carrots. Season and serve with the pie.
11. Melt the butter in a small pan and brush over the top of the pie before serving.