Turner On TV
Brian recently made an
appearance on James Martin's Saturday Morning
Click here to watch it again
5floz/¼ pt red wine
4tbsp liquid honey
4tbsp caster sugar
675g/1½ lb plums, halved and stoned
110g/4oz unsalted butter
150g/6oz plain flour
110g/4oz demerara sugar
50g/2oz pin head oats
50g/2oz pumpkins seeds
1 vanilla pod
350ml/12fl oz double cream
150ml/6fl oz milk
6 egg yolks
110g/4oz caster sugar
How to Create the Dish
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.
2. Put the wine, honey, sugar into a pain and bring up to the boil.
3. Add the grated nutmeg to taste and simmer for 3-4 minutes then add the plums, cook for 2 minutes and pour into an oven proof dish, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquor.
4. Rub the butter and flour together in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs then mix in the Demerara sugar, oats and seeds.
5. Sprinkle over the fruit, but do not pat down, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling.
6. Meanwhile, split the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into pan with the cream and milk and bring up to the boil over a medium heat.
7. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl then pour a little of the hot milk mixture over the yolks, whisking to combine.
8. Pour it back into the pan and heat, stirring well, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon - do not boil it though.
9. Have a sieve and cold clean bowl ready, and as the custard starts to thicken, take off quickly, pass through the sieve into the bowl and whisk in the reserved plum juices.
Serve with the crumble.